Sunday, January 1, 2017

Welcome 2017

Starting fresh.

Turning a new page.

Hope.

Beginnings make us reflect on where we've been and where we are and where we are headed. In the past, I've always wanted to find a word or theme for the the new year, and most years, by April, I've forgotten what that might be. But there are themes that have stayed consistent for me in the past decade or so...themes like love, gratitude, acceptance, inclusion, caring, compassion, books, minimalism, simplicity, faith.

And coffee. We must not forget coffee.

To start this year, I'm reading The Book of Joy by The Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu, with Douglas Abrams. It's fantastic, and it's a sure bet that you'll find thoughts on that book here in the coming months. To start this year, I'm drawing on a quotation from the Dalai Lama.

Dalai Lama:
Source


Truth.

So the challenge is this: how can I be more of a peacemaker, healer, restorer, storyteller, and lover?

I like challenges. I'm already working on this one. And I'm feeling optimistic.

Are you with me?


What challenges are you working on this year? What sort of person do you want to grow toward this year? 


4 comments:

  1. Resolutions never last. Challenges mean a commitment. I like a challenge!

    So, one of my personal challenges is to read this year. I love reading, but have found myself wasting reading time on social media. So, one challenge I've put on myself this year is to read a minimum of two books a month. The bar is set low deliberately as I need to get back into the habit. I think I'll put this book on the list to read.

    I have other challenges in mind, but they involve taking care of me more this year so I can take care of family and friends better without feeling resentment. Plan to work out those specific details of the challenge some this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to learn the language of eucharisteo-giving thanks. Give thanks-the secret to living joy in every situation ( Ann Voskamp and Phil 4:11-12)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy this challenge every year too. Here's what I am focused on: doing. As James 1:22-25 says, I want to be a doer of the Word.
    "22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; 24 for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. 25 But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for these words and the book recommendation. I'm taking it slow this year with my resolutions - going for less rather than more as I tend to put too much on my list. I like the idea of a word ... but it needs to be in a place that's visible on a regular basis for it to stick.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!