Thursday, September 22, 2011

Things on Thursday: A Work in Progress

Today's Thing on Thursday is my current work-in-progress: my Thankful Tree. I got the idea from a picture on Pinterest and have taken it in my own direction.

The base of my "tree" is a wire stand intended for Christmas ornaments that was purchased at Hobby Lobby last year. I hung handmade miniature books from it for Christmas, but last week I bought a second stand and intend to have two trees with handmade "thankful" ornaments on display over our fireplace until it's time to decorate for Christmas. Then, I'll hang the book ornaments again.

It's not finished yet, but you can certainly see where I'm going with this.




My crafty readers will appreciate how "outside my box" these pleated ornaments are.



Is there some home decor item you use to celebrate autumn? Do you decorate for Halloween or Thanksgiving? Both or neither?

3 comments:

  1. I am so very lazy when it comes to decorations. Maybe it's because our cozy little home is, well, so little. And full. Of stuff. I love seasonal decorations, though. I'm not a Halloween person but I do have a lovely handmade Thanksgiving/Fall decoration I saw in a bin downstairs yesterday. Maybe I'll get it up here and put it on the dining table. It was a gift from a Prayer Pal many years ago. As much as I've wanted Fall and cooler temps - it's hard for me to get use to the idea that Summer is over. I hope you'll let us see how you decorate your home. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very curious to see where the tree from Pinterest would take you. Your tree is wonderful, and such a warm and cozy addition to your home. What a great idea, as always! When our grown kids were young, we always decorated for both Halloween and Thanksgiving. Very simple usually, a wreath, pumpkin, squash, a few mums in pots. Now that we have no children at home, no grandchildren visiting, and no trick or treaters, we don't do much of anything for Halloween. For Thanksgiving, I put out a set of pilgrims, and we use the good china. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do decorate for Halloween and Thanksgiving with a basic fall theme (love that I can encompass two holidays in one! I'm a lazy decorator.) I've had the same bale of hay on my front porch for five years now. In fall it gets decorated with scarecrows, pumpkins and gourds, and leaves. It gets covered with a decorated box at Christmas. (I'm also a frugal decorator -- I'd much rather spend my money on stamping supplies, if you know what I mean!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!