Friday, November 13, 2009

Words, Words, Words from Dorothy Aldis

Today's poem comes from a 1928 children's book series called Book Trails. My mother read this series when she was a little girl (and occasionally scribbled in pencil or crayon on its pages). I added my own scribbles long ago, and now the books rest on my shelf for my children to enjoy.

Radiator Lions
George lives in an apartment and
His mother will not let
Him keep a dog or polliwog
Or rabbit for a pet.

So he has Radiator Lions.
(The parlor is a zoo.)
They love to fight but will not bite
Unless he tells them to.

And days when it is very cold
And he can't go outdoors
They glower and they lower and they
Crouch upon all fours.

And roar most awful roarings and
Gurgle loud and mad.
Up their noses water goeses--
That's what makes them bad.

But he loves Radiator Lions!
He's glad, although they're wild,
He hasn't dogs and polliwogs
Like any other child!



Some unfortunate adults are too grown-up and smart to understand the genius expressed in this poem, but for those of us who embrace imagination and perspective, this poem speaks volumes. I hope you have your own version of radiator lions to smooth the rough edges of life.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I love this poem! I had never seen it before...but I love it! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with this poem and have been looking for the book for years! In my early 60's now, I can still quote parts of it. Thank you so much for posting it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!