Sunday, September 27, 2009

Gratitude Journal #16


Today, I am grateful for this photo and for my brother-in-law who scanned it and emailed it to me this evening, despite his having a million and one other, vastly more important things to do. I had wanted it to post with my coffee essay on Friday, but Tom was in Italy.


Damn him...I want to go to Italy! Wait, this is a gratitude journal, isn't it?

Thanks, Tom. I'll try not to hold the whole Italy thing against you.

Old photos carry such weight of memory, don't they? In this picture are my maternal grandparents, D.L. and Ann Willis. I've blogged about them before, most recently in the coffee essay. Don't they look so young? I used to be that young, too.

It's so odd, seeing an image of my grandfather with that much hair. What you see here didn't last long. This is how I remember him, balding with cigarette in hand:


He often wore a hat to cover his noggin, though not usually inside. He was an officer and a gentleman. Grandma teased him about his baldness, too. You can tell what an imp she was. Check out that naughty sparkle in her eye and sassy pose above, and her grabbing Papa in a headlock to have her way with his hat in the photo below. Note the china coffee cups in the background.

Coffee. Family. Heritage. I'm grateful for them all.

What are you grateful for today?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness... and your photo of grandparents in the kitchen brought a rush of memories for ME!! Growing up, I had to sit on that same step-stool, while my mother gave me home Toni perms!! Right now, I'm grateful for straight hair!

    Thanks for the smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kraftyaunt,

    My mom wanted to post but couldn't, so she asked me to share with you that she also sat on that same stool while her aunt Ruth gave her perms.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!